A glimpse into my life and duties as the reigning Miss Black USA.

Friday, November 30, 2007

My Trip to New York City

Hola!

Right now I’m sitting idly on a plane heading back to Los Angeles from New York. Such a long plane ride: 6 hours! Anyway, this long trek across the country isn’t going to overshadow the wonderful time I had in New York. :) Today, I taped two interviews focusing on the country’s fight against diabetes. The first interview I taped was at the JDRF Headquarters and will air on the CBS Early Show on Dec. 2. The second interview was for a special on Good Morning America Now entitled, “The Fight Against Diabetes” and will air on ABC on Friday morning at 9am EST. These will be my very first major television appearances, and I’m excited!

While in New York at the JDRF National Headquarters, I also taped the “Bag of Hope” video that will be distributed to children diagnosed with type I diabetes next year. I hope my message can serve as an inspiration and encouragement to young people affected by diabetes. I wish I could have received more positive messages about diabetes when I was first diagnosed because being diagnosed with diabetes makes for a difficult time in a young person’s life. Hopefully, this message will be the encouragement that at least one young person needs to feel “normal” and to gain resolve in such an emotionally strenuous time.

Mañana, I’m off to St. Martin to judge the Miss Caribbean Hibiscus pageant. I’m excited about that too! I’ve never been to an island before. Once I re-pack my suitcase I’m going to meet the sandman. Hope to have sweet dreams, and I hope you do too! :) God loves you (He REALLY does)!!

-Miss Black USA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kalilah,

Your work as reigning Miss Black USA has already allowed you much influence. It is great to see you use such a gift in an act of service. Your efforts will undoubtedly impact not only Diabetics, but also those who wish to share their own testament, whatever that may be. I wish you continued success, and am rooting for you.

critical processes said...

Kalilah, you are a fine woman indeed. You are doing such important work with diabetes awareness as it is truly killing our people. I saw you on ABC.com and just wanted to send you a shoutout.

Miss Black USA said...

Thank you very much for the encouraging comments on my blog. I am honored to have the privilege of speaking out and educating our community about this disease. Thanks for your support.

God Bless,
Kalilah