A glimpse into my life and duties as the reigning Miss Black USA.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Story In Honor Of National Diabetes Awareness Month

I was 14 years old, and it was February 10, 1999 (funny how you remember dates that change your life). Less than a week earlier, I had been almost 20 pounds heavier and living a “normal” life like any other teenager. Four days earlier, I had suddenly begun to suffer from many symptoms that were previously unfamiliar to me such as frequent urination, fatigue, extreme thirst and hunger, and weight loss. I was active and in great shape from dancing and cheerleading at least 6 hours a day at least 5 days a week. I had no clue what was happening to me. On the day that I woke up and was physically unable to get out of bed without assistance to prepare for school, I told my mother that there was a huge problem. She took me to a physician who then suggested that we go to the Children’s Hospital in Birmingham, AL. On that day I was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes. My life changed forever. Surprisingly, the change was overwhelmingly positive, although not immediate.

Did you know: Halle Berry has diabetes? When I was diagnosed, that piece of information made a HUGE difference in the way I viewed my future and my life. I had always admired her for her talent and beauty, so she served as a role model to me and millions of other young girls in the world. Knowing that she suffered from the disease made me feel more comfortable and accepting of diabetes. Seeing people who are admired and accomplished who also suffer from the disease makes children feel that diabetes is more acceptable to have and helps them to know that success and a “normal” life are still possible.

Fast forward 8.5 years: Although I am not a “celebrity”, I have been named a celebrity advocate for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). This month to help celebrate National Diabetes Awareness Month, I will travel to reach people in an effort to increase awareness of this disease. This is such a great honor. I never would have thought that I would have the opportunity to reach out to people to spread the message and mission of JDRF. I can’t express how inspired I am by JDRF and its incredible push to provide research for the purpose of finding a cure for Type I Diabetes! I’m very hopeful and confident that one day, this goal will be reached and we will all be able to imagine and return to a life without diabetes. :)

No comments: