A glimpse into my life and duties as the reigning Miss Black USA.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Farewell Speech

I cannot even begin to form a thought without first recognizing the glory and graciousness of God, my Savior and Protector. Thank You so much, God, for all that You have been to me and all that You will continue to be!

Life as Miss Black USA 2007 has allowed me to acquire a myriad of experiences and realize many personal goals. I have grown both spiritually and emotionally in profound ways. If I could boast of only one reason to be grateful for my reign, my personal growth alone would be enough to prove this experience priceless. However, I have many more reasons to be grateful. God has an awesome way of ordering the steps of His children. Being granted the opportunity to travel to Gambia to compete for and win the title of Miss Black USA has been nothing short of a dream come true. I have had the privilege of meeting truly remarkable people and touching the lives of young people, one of my greatest passions.

Everyone needs help along the way to success. This lesson becomes more apparent with each passing day. Thank you, Mom (Dr. Beverly Allen), family, and close friends for being unfailingly supportive of me. I am so blessed to have you in my life, and I love you dearly. Without you, I would not be able to withstand many of the challenges I face. Because this lesson carries over into all aspects of life, I cannot neglect sending special thanks to Karen Arrington, the founder and acting executive director of the Miss Black USA Scholarship Pageant Organization. Gratitude is also in order for The Sanders family and the Miss Black Tennessee USA Scholarship Pageant Committee for your support in preparation for the Miss Black USA 2007 Scholarship Pageant in Gambia, West Africa.

To the young ladies vying for the title of Miss Black USA: dare to dream big! Dr. Henry Grayson put this idea very eloquently when he said, “who and what we are is so magnificent that it far exceeds our wildest imaginations and dreams.” Although only one will leave with the title today, all can aspire to make significant contributions to our communities. Marianne Williamson said, “…You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you….We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.” Choose not to shrink. You are to be commended for being upstanding, intelligent, beautiful Black women. Congratulations on making it this far.

To the young lady who will be crowned the next Miss Black USA: make your reign spectacular! Prayer will be your greatest ally. Be patient, kind, and understanding, but most importantly, be proactive. You will often encounter difficulties; those are the things that test our preparedness for our blessings. You can conquer the world!

No matter where I go in life, I will always remember this experience and all it has taught. I hope I was able to make you proud. I am honored to have been able to serve as Miss Black USA 2007. Thank you for supporting the empowerment of talented young women.

Sincerely,
Kalilah Allen-Harris
Miss Black USA 2007

“…we as human beings are indeed spiritual beings and as such are quite limitless in our potential to be happy.” –Henry Grayson, Ph.D.

No comments: